Apple’s very own Mac is more secure than any other desktop operating system. Mac OS is hard to break and as its software is a more locked-down version. It neither means Mac PC will not get affected by viruses or malware nor it doesn’t need antivirus software. It’s hard to predict to what extent the new viruses are severe. Although Mac PC’s are less prone to virus attacks, it is not safe to look for the operating system to protect the system all the time.
It is good to have a secondary companion called antivirus software on Mac to stay safe against malware and virus attacks. While there are a hundred of antivirus software tools available, it is vital to choose the best among them. So, to help you pick the right one, the article discusses the best antivirus for Mac PC in brief.
Mac Don’t Need Antivirus – Common Misconception
Mac OS is a Unix-based operating system and is sandboxed. For instance, if your Mac is affected with the virus then it cannot be spread to the core of the system.
For this reason, Mac PC users claim that they don’t require any antivirus tool which is completely not true. Mac OS is harder to break or hack and it doesn’t mean that it cannot be hacked. For this reason, anyone must look for the best antivirus for Mac.
Unlike Windows PC, Mac isn’t available in higher number. So, the device is less targeted and are harder to hack.
But in recent times, Mac are prone to cyber-attacks more frequently and thus the need to protect the system as well as your important data are increasing. If you don’t want to put yourself at risk, then it is good to get the best antivirus for Mac 2019.
Techowns Tip: Best Antivirus Apps for iPhone
What Features Should the Best app Possess?
- You may choose the best antivirus program for Mac by looking out for the following features.
- It should effectively handle and remove the threat or virus.
- A scan must take place on Mac regularly to identify if there are any malicious activity.
- The virus or malware found must be automatically deleted from the Mac OS.
- The best antivirus should monitor the ransomware and encrypt the files of users.
- It should protect your Mac PC and its contents even from the white list programs.
- Any antivirus is termed to be good if it uses a minimum computational resource of Mac.
- It may have some additional features like a password manager, advanced firewalls, backup service, parental controls, privacy modes, blocking potentially Unwanted Apps.
Best Free Antivirus for Mac
After analysing a dozen of free antivirus software, the section covers the best free antivirus for Mac in brief along with the plus, minus, and our opinion.
Avira Free Antivirus
Avira is free antivirus software for Mac and protects against threats like adware, virus, ransomware, and spyware. The user can just schedule the security scans and Avira runs on the background. Meanwhile, the new viruses will be updated automatically into the virus definition database.
Get to know the blocked threats and security-related activities as an overview in the Activity section. With one-click, Avira free antivirus supports repairing the folders. Any harmful websites will be blocked before you load it and Avira provides a safer browsing experience.
- One-click scanning
- Lightning-fast performance
- Ad pop-ups appear frequently
- Full system scan makes Mac OS slow down
- Mac OS X 10.13 or higher with a minimum of 2GB hard drive
With Avast Security, your Mac PC is free from potential threats. It will block trojans, spyware, viruses and other malware in real-time. Further, it will scan the entire Mac PC and removes the already hidden threats.
Avast Security is the best free antivirus for Mac, and it blocks you against unsafe downloads, dangerous email attachments, intrusive websites, and more. It will scan the network in whole and check vulnerabilities in the connected devices. Thus, it will prevent hackers from stealing personal data on Mac.
- Phishing protection
- Password manager included
- Scans personal files for threats
- Support schedule and run custom scan
- Annoying bloatware
- Ransomware protection is available only in a premium version
- Mac OS 10.10 or higher with a minimum of 500MB disk space.
Bitdefender Virus Scanner
Bitdefender Virus Scanner is yet another best free antivirus for Mac. It will seamlessly scan for malware and Windows virus on the go. Bitdefender Virus Scanner will perform a fast scan on the areas that are prone to virus attacks. When any new virus is found, then it will be updated into the Bitdefender Virus signatures every hour.
The Bitdefender engines will scan malware on running apps, custom locations, location, files and folders, archives, and other file types. The interface is easy-to-use, and the users of Bitdefender Virus Scanner will get security status as well as recommendations easily.
- Built-in VPN lets you anonymously browse.
- Adware blocking and removal.
- Protects while browsing, banking, shopping.
- System scans take quite a long time
Mac OS X 10.9 or later with a 64-bit processor
Techowns Tip: Bitdefender VPN
AVG Antivirus for Mac is a powerful antivirus that provides reliable protection against almost all type of malware. The virus cleaner will work in the real-time and removes Mac-specific viruses, spyware, mobile and PC threats. So, it offers triple protection while working on the background.
AVG Antivirus provides online protection by blocking malicious websites, email attachments, downloads, etc. Virus database updates will be done automatically and so your Mac will stay safe even from latest threats. Above all, AVG free antivirus will prevent Mac from sharing viruses with other devices
- Fast and lightweight
- Features simple to use interface
- Automatic scans the open, copies, or saved files.
- Average performance while dealing with phishing
- The free version has no Firewall, password protector, or VPN
- Mac OS X 10.10 or higher
Comodo Free Antivirus
Comodo Free Antivirus is the best free antivirus for Mac that features advanced security features. The on-demand scanner of this software will provide real-time protection against known viruses. Further, it will automatically update the latest viruses and protects Mac from them.
The users of Comodo antivirus can just drag and drop the object into the dock to get instant virus analysis. The built-in scheduler will let you run scans at your convenient time and gives personalized protection. It will check for every other file or apps and blocks them when identified as threats. One of the important features of Comodo antivirus is it supports quarantine protection.
- Automatically updates the latest virus.
- No annoying pop-ups.
- Easy user-friendly interface.
- One-click scanning.
- Lags a bit against Mac or Windows malware.
- Initial updates will take quite a time to complete
- Mac OS X 10.9.5 or higher
Best Antivirus Software for Mac – Paid Apps
Some of the best Mac antivirus software available as a premium version. The feature-rich antivirus apps for Mac are listed below.
Kaspersky Internet Security for Mac
If you want to safeguard your Mac from online thieves, then Kaspersky Internet Security is all you need. It will protect Mac OS against hackers, attackers, viruses, ransomware, and malware. No more lagging down while protecting your device and thus is the reason for Kaspersky Internet Security is termed to be the best antivirus for Mac.
Further, it will stop the webcams hijacks on Mac. Kaspersky blocks phishing attacks efficiently and hides browsing. It is not only easy-to-set-up, but it also gives advanced protection. Your personal data will be protected, and it prevents trackers from watching your online activity. Other features of Kaspersky include the GPS tracker, protects against cybercriminals, etc.
- Powerful Parental Control.
- Powerful Password manager.
- Support file backup and encryption.
- High customization options.
- Entry-level package has only limited features.
- The ultimate plan of Kaspersky is expensive.
- Mac OS 10.12 or later with a minimum of 1.2GB of device storage
Cost: Kaspersky Internet Security for Mac costs $39.99/year for 1 device or pay $59.99/year for three devices.
Norton 360 is one of the best antivirus software for Mac PC and offers the protection that you need. It offers hybrid real-time security and works in improving the performance of Mac. It will protect your device against phishing, malware, viruses, spam, and more. The multiple layers of security will protect the Mac from online threats as well. Your kids will get a safe and controlled browsing experience as Norton 360 has a parental control feature. So, you can time-limit screen, block unwanted sites, access activity history, etc.
It has cloud backup support and you can store important files and data in the cloud to access it from anywhere. Above all, Norton 360 offers secured VPN and protects your personal information online from cybercriminals.
- Provides fast device scan.
- Protects against firewall blocks.
- Detects Mac malware best-in-class.
- Bank-grade encryption.
- Premium version is expensive.
- Mobile devices should buy licenses separately.
- Lags against the phishing site and Windows malware.
- Mac OS X 10.7.5 or later with a minimum of 1.5GB of hard disk space
Cost: Buy Norton 360 Standard version at $29.99/year for one device or get Norton 360 Deluxe at $39.99/year for five devices. Get Norton 360 LifeLock Select at $89.99/year for five devices with theft protection.
Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac
Bitdefender is an excellent antivirus solution for Mac PC that provides complete protection against viruses and ransomware. The multi-layered protection of this software will keep your Mac and data safe from new threats. It is designed to work at great speed, and it will perform ultra-fast scans with accuracy. Bitdefender will defend threats that try to destroy your backup files. The built-in VPN will protect your online activity from hackers.
It further ensures protecting your browsing or online shopping and thereby filtering out the contents that are inappropriate. Bitdefender Antivirus will block those websites that aren’t trustworthy or those who try stealing your passwords or credit card information.
- It blocks and destroys both Mac and Windows malware.
- Provides solid protection against phishing attacks.
- Scans social networking sites proactively.
- A bit complex to use on Mac PC.
- Installation takes some time.
Mac OS X 10.10 or higher with a minimum of 1 GB free hard disk space.
Cost: Buy Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac at $ 59.99/year for 3 devices.
Airo Security is one of the emerging antivirus software exclusively made for Mac PC. The real-time detection and prevention will let you stay away from malicious threats, malware, and viruses. It runs in the background and prevents phishing scams from accessing your personal data.
Airo Security on Mac will collect data and identifies new malicious activities. It will also prevent the threats from making damage to Mac. It gives the highest level of security and online protection anytime. This Antivirus adds an extra layer of security to Mac and gives full control over your data, privacy, system settings, etc.
- Has built-in spyware protection.
- Offers real-time threat detection.
- Provides better parental controls.
- Device scan takes quite a long time.
- Takes time to identify a few malware.
- Not available for other platforms.
Mac OS X 10.11 or higher with a minimum of 4GB of RAM.
Cost: Buy Airo Security for Mac at $49.99/year for one device. Get Airo Pro at $69.99/year for 3 devices or get Airo Family at $89.99/year for five devices.
McAfee Antivirus Plus
McAfee Antivirus Plus is a best-in-class premium antivirus tool for Mac PC. It ensures your online privacy, security and identity any time anywhere. Your Mac PC will be completely safe against the latest viruses, malware, ransomware, spyware, phishing, etc. McAfee Antivirus Plus will defend you against the risky websites, links or files and warns you about it.
You can perform a custom scan on your preferred location on Mac using this antivirus software. The Web Advisor plugin of McAfee will block the suspicious sites automatically. It will also prevent the ad pop-ups from appearing while browsing.
- Cloud-based threat analysis.
- Provides personal firewall protection.
- Cross-device protection.
- Has better Mac optimisation tools.
- Complex interface.
- Full scans decrease the Mac performance.
Mac OS X 10.8 or higher with a minimum of 2GB RAM and 500MB free drive space.
Cost: Buy McAfee Antivirus Plus for Mac at $54.99/year. Pay $59.99/year from the following year and it supports up to ten devices.
Malwarebytes for Mac
Malwarebytes is the best antivirus for Mac PC that will keep you safe online. The advanced anti-malware technology will remove the adware, threats, spyware, etc, that are infecting your Mac in real-time. It will crush the potentially unwanted programs as well as the adware efficiently. The antivirus program will also protect your Mac while making it run smoothly.
Malwarebytes will scan the Mac just in 30 seconds while still running in the background. It supports customized scanning at any time. Further, Malwarebytes app will block the apps from those developers who create unwanted software.
- Lightweight antivirus program.
- Real-time detection of threats is quick.
- Simple and user-friendly interface.
- It doesn’t detect Windows malware.
- Lacks centralized reporting.
- It doesn’t protect against malicious websites.
Mac OS 10.11 or higher.
Cost: Buy Malwarebytes at $1.49/month or pay $11.99/year for one device.
Intego Mac Internet Security
Intego Mac Internet Security is an antivirus program that will protect Mac against PC and Mac malware. It will check for the latest updates and protects your device against the new threats. Intego Mac Internet Security will block unauthorized third-party visitors or cyber criminals out of Mac. It will switch between the firewall settings automatically and provides best-level protection.
It will even search and remove the malware from the archive files and scan the external drives automatically. You can even schedule scans at a convenient time. Intego Mac Internet Security will make a note of the trusted folders and scans it at a faster rate.
- Offers real-time protection.
- Scan the files whenever you access them.
- Automatic scans keep Mac protected
- Not effectively detects the Windows malware.
- Mac OS X 10.9 or higher with a minimum of 1.5GB of hard disk space.
Cost: Buy Intego Mac Internet Security for Mac at $39.99/year for one device or get it at $74.99 for two years.
Trend Antivirus for Mac
Trend Antivirus for Mac offers simple protection against complex threats. It will efficiently defend against the ransomware and other online threats. Your Mac PC will be protected from malicious viruses, spyware, or software attacks. Trend Antivirus will block those dangerous or suspicious websites that may steal your personal data.
It will safeguard you against the phishing emails and scams. The interface of Trend Antivirus for Mac is simple and features easy-to-understand features. The folder shield components of Trend Micro Antivirus will defend Mac against ransomware by banning the unauthorized access to specific folders that are protected.
- Detects Mac malware efficiently.
- Real-time ransomware protection.
- Supports URL blocking.
- The System gets slow down sometimes.
- Scanning takes quite a long time.
Mac OS 10.13 or higher
Cost: Pay $79.99/year for three devices with Trend Antivirus for Mac premium version.
F-Secure SAFE is yet another best antivirus software for Mac PC. It will safeguard your device and data from trojans, viruses, ransomware, etc. The antivirus will remove the Windows and Mac viruses and it ensures you are not passing any virus to other devices. It will scan the email and other data forwarded from others to remove the threats.
The ransomware protection offered by F-Secure SAFE is great as it will protect them and encrypts the files. It offers internet security online while shopping, banking, and more. Further, it offers a personal firewall and shields your login credentials, account info, etc.
- It features parental controls.
- It can be used on mobile platforms.
- It doesn’t detect all the Mac malware efficiently.
- Sometimes fail to scan outdated software.
- It doesn’t have a quarantine folder.
- Mac OS 10.13 or higher.
Cost: Buy F-Secure SAFE for Mac at $66.32/year for one device or pay $88.47/year for five devices or $110.61/year for seven devices.
Sophos Home Premium
Sophos Home Premium is antivirus software for Mac PC that will intuitively protect your device as well as the data. It will provide you real-time protection against Mac viruses, malware, bots, PUAs, Trojans, ransomware, worms, etc.
Sophos Home Premium is a cloud-based configuration and it can protect all your devices in addition to Mac. The simple web interface of Sophos can secure multiple devices in any place. It will also stop the latest ransomware from encrypting the files and drives. It will also prevent apps from sharing your personal information with third-party sources.
- Internet filters will block potentially harmful contents.
- Features simple parental controls.
- Remote security management
- Offers webcam protection
- Full system scan takes longer than usual.
- Using advanced features needs prior knowledge.
- No quick scan feature available
Mac OS X 10.11 or higher with a minimum of 4GB of RAM and free disk space.
Cost: Sophos Home Premium costs $39.99/year for one device or $60/year for ten devices.
Here are the list of best Antivirus for Mac and we hope the article is useful to you. Never risk your personal security while on Mac. Look at the review of all the antivirus software we have listed above and choose anything based on your needs. Antivirus software will not let any online threat to attack your personal information rather it will safeguard you against them 24/7.