Amazon’s Firestick is the best-selling media player device at an affordable rate. With an internet connection, you can stream everything you want. So, you will be able to watch movies, TV shows, and Amazon Originals with Firestick. Any media player including Firestick requires a remote controller to control the playback. Inside the box of Firestick, you will find a compatible remote or Alexa remote which upon pairing will let you take control of your Firestick. You will find a dedicated power button, mute, and volume buttons. Despite this, you can ask Alexa to bring content from the web with the microphone button. You will find your Firestick Remote not working many times for varied reasons. It is one of the frequently found problems by Firestick users. In order to help you deal with this issue, we have come up with this article. You will find the most common reasons and the respective fixes to resolve Firestick remote not working.
How to Fix Firestick Remote not Working Issue?
Listed here are the possible causes of the Firestick remote not working issue and you will find the ways to fix it in the section below.
A simple restart could fix many possible minor issues. If the issue is with the Firestick device, then this could be the best solution to fix the remote not working issue. This will fix the common issues like pairing issues, syncing issues, the remote stopped working, amazon fire tv remote voice search not working, orange light flashing in the remote.
The firestick remote will not be working if there is a problem with its batteries. Check if your Firestick remote has drained out of power. Since Firestick remote uses Bluetooth and not infrared, it consumes a little more power than other conventional remotes. Also, using the remote frequently will also be the reason for its battery getting drained out.
- Remove the batteries from the Firestick remote
- Check if the batteries are installed correctly
- Charge the batteries or use new batteiesr if the old one is of no use
Check if Firestick Remote needs Pairing
If you haven’t paired the Firestick remote, it may be the cause of the remote not working. Pairing the Firestick remote is the foremost thing you should do to control your Firestick. This issue is more common if you had bought a replacement remote.
- Turn on your Firestick and the TV in which it is connected
- After the TV boots, hold your remote close enough to the Firestick
- Just press and hold the Home button on the remote for about 10 seconds
- Gently release the Home button and check if the remote is working
- If that doesn’t work, carry out the steps again as it takes multiple attempts
Check for Obstructions and Distance
Although the Firestick remote uses Bluetooth, it may fail to work if you don’t use it within 30 feet. Also, the obstructions that lie in between the remote and Firestick may cause a problem.
- Make sure you are using the remote close enough to the Firestick
- Check if there are any obstructions that cause the issue
- Make use of the Firestick extension dongle if you find the remote cannot reach the back of your TV.
- It is better to take your device out of the cabinet and check if the remote works fine
Find if Firestick Buttons are Working
If you haven’t paired the Firestick remote, then the buttons will not work. You may need to first pair your Firestick remote. If that fails, you shall proceed with factory resetting your remote.
- Unplug the adapter from the power outlet or from the Firestick device
- Hold the Back button, Menu button and left part of navigation ring for 20 seconds
- Remove the batteries from the Firestick remote
- Now turn on your Firestick and wait until you see the home screen on TV
- Put the batteries back into the remote and wait for up to 2 minutes
- The remote should have paired already. Otherwise, hold the Home button for 10 seconds
Check for Interference
The firestick remote is based on Bluetooth and it may get affected by interference. So, it is better to check if there are any other wireless devices that cause Bluetooth interference.
- Check if you have any other device near the Firestick. It includes microwave ovens, wireless phones, wireless speakers, coaxial cables, and other wireless devices. Just move them away from the Firestick.
Check if your Firestick Remote is Compatible
Firestick supports third-party remote as well as game controllers. You will find the remote not working issue when you have an incompatible Firestick remote. It would be the case if the remote you have bought is out of the box separately.
- Buy the right third-party remote as the market has lots of cheaper ones
- Check for the seller authentication to not get – Firestick remote not working issue
Check if Firestick Remote is Damaged
When any of the above fixes don’t resolve the remote not working issue, check if the remote is damaged. The damaged remote would fail to control the Firestick.
- You shall get a replacement remote separately
- Make sure it is compatible with your Firestick
Try Fire TV Remote App
If your Firestick remote isn’t working at all, then you shall try using Amazon Fire TV Remote app. This is useful whenever you aren’t able to charge your remote or if the remote is damaged.
Those with Android, iOS, and Kindle devices, can get Amazon Fire TV App from Play Store, Apple App Store, and Amazon App Store respectively. This app will turn your smartphone into a Firestick remote. You can better take control of the Firestick device now from your smartphone.
- Download and install Fire TV Remote app on your respective devices
- Use your Amazon account credentials to sign in to the app
- Choose your Firestick device from the list of devices
- Look for a code on your TV and enter the same on your app
- With this, your phone will turn into Firestick remote
The firestick remote not working is a temporary issue and you can fix it easily by identifying the cause. In most cases, the issue gets resolved upon following the guidelines given above. If everything fails, then we recommend you to rest your Firestick remote to factory default.