Smartphones running on Android OS are the highest selling devices. It is the choice of millions for its simple, user-friendly interface. Although it seems to be the budget-friendly smartphone option, it holds lots of interesting features. This section is all about the clipboard, one of the basic yet essential features of Android. A clipboard is a built-in option and every other Android phone ships with it. It is a place that saves all the contents you select or copy temporarily. It includes text, links, images, and more. The oldest clipboard history will be removed by the latest entry. So, there will be some entries that reside on the clipboard. Fortunately, Android users can clear away them with a few clicks. If you are aware of it, then get in to know how to clear the clipboard on Android.
When copying text on your Android smartphone, you may notice the pop-up saying Copied to clipboard. But, what exactly is a clipboard, and where is the clipboard on my Android smartphone. Well, Clipboard is a background app that stores all the copied data temporarily. You can access the Clipboard app on your smartphone from the keyboard panel. Let’s see how to manage and delete the clipboard data on Android smartphones and tablets.
Is it Necessary to Clear Clipboard
Generally, clipboard data won’t occupy much space on your smartphone. When you copy a text on your smartphone, it will be saved on the clipboard for further use. If you want to retrieve that clipboard data, tap & hold on a text area and tap paste. The copied clipboard data will appear. In the latest Android models, all the clipboard data will be saved on the Clipboard Manager. In the long term, these data will slow down your smartphone, occupy your device memory, and a lot of temporary data will be stored. So, you need to delete or erase all the unwanted clipboard data.
How to Clear Clipboard on Android
As Android smartphones come with a lot of versions, the procedure to clear a clipboard varies accordingly.
- Clear Clipboard on Android 10 and above
- Clear Clipboard on Stock Android
- Clear Clipboard on Samsung Smartphones
How to Clear Clipboard on Android 10 and Above
In the Android 10 and above smartphones, you can install the Gboard app from the Play Store. If you are not sure about the Android version, check the Android version of your smartphone or tablet. Using the Gboard app, you can manage your clipboard history on any Android smartphone like OnePlus, Motorola, Vivo, and other brands. If you are using an older version of Android, make sure to update your Android smartphone to the Android 10 or above version.
(1) Install the Gboard app from the Play Store on your smartphone.
(2) Go to Settings and select Gboard as the default input method.
(3) Now, go to any texting app and type any text.
(4) Tap and hold any word to open the clipboard options.
(5) Click the Clipboard option. If it is not appearing, click the three-dotted icon and choose Clipboard.
(6) Now, you will see the clipboard history. This includes all the texts, links, and images.
(7) Tap and hold on to any entry to select it. If you want, you can also choose multiple entries.
(8) After completing the selection, tap the Delete icon. The selected clipboard content will be removed.
If you are using any third-party keyboard app for texting, you can’t access Clipboard. After the Android 10 update, Google limited the third-party apps from accessing the Clipboard data.
Apart from this, you can also place the Clipboard menu on the keyboard for easy access. To do so, on the keyboard layout, tap the three-dotted icon. Drag and drop the Clipboard option on the top. It will replace any one of the existing four options with the Clipboard option. Tapping the Clipboard option will display you all the previously copied items.
How to Clear Clipboard on Stock Android
Stock Android is the version of Android which the most basic version. Stock Android version can’t be changed by the device manufacturers. In those versions, only Google will handle all the updates. The simplest option to clear the current contents on the clipboard is to copy the new text on Android.
(1) Navigate to any app that lets you copy contents to the clipboard.
(2) Just long-press a word, drag the slider and select the contents.
(3) Choose the Copy option.
This will automatically clear the previously copied content on the clipboard.
How to Clear Clipboard on Samsung or Other Android Smartphones
Those using Samsung smartphone and Android other than the stock version has the option to clear.
(1) Open any app that supports copying contents. Say Messages app.
(2) Press inside the empty space on the text press and select Clipboard.
(3) The list of copied clipboard contents will be shown. Press the Menu icon (three dots or arrows) from the right corner of the text area.
(4) Select the Delete icon available at the bottom to delete all the clipboard contents.
(5) On the pop-up, click on Delete to clear all the unselected clipboard contents.
Alternative! Just press and hold the clipboard that you want to delete and choose Delete from the Clipboard option.
Third-Party Clipboard Apps for Android 9 or Below
If you are using an older version of Android, Android 9, or below, you can use any of the third-party clipboard apps to clear and manage the data. Clipboard Manager, Microsoft SwiftKey, Clipper, and Paste are some of the clipboard manager apps that you can use on your smartphone.
How to Pin Clipboard Items
Some of us will have the habit of saving usernames and passwords in the clipboard. In the recent models of smartphones, the clipboard data will be deleted automatically after a certain period of days. To prevent this, you can pin an item in the clipboard to save it permanently. Go to Clipboard Manager and tap and hold on to the text or link that you want to pin. You will get a pop-up after 1-2 seconds. Choose the PIN option. After this, the specific entry won’t be deleted automatically.
You may go with the steps discussed above to clear your Android clipboard in the easiest way. Those of you using clipboard apps on your Android device can try clearing the cache and data of that app on Android Settings to clear the clipboard.
You can access the Clipboard Manager to delete all the items stored in the clipboard.
The Clipboard will be available on your Android smartphone keyboard. Tap and hold any text to open the clipboard.