- Android: Wikipedia app → More → Settings → App Theme → Dark or Black.
- iPhone: Wikipedia app → Settings icon → Reading preferences → Dark or Black.
- Web Browser: Add Night Eye Extension → pin the extension → open Wikipedia page → click on the extension → power icon.
Wikipedia is an open-source website that contains most of the information we search for online. By default, Wikipedia opens with a light background. However, one can enable dark mode on Wikipedia while reading in low-light conditions. It reduces the light emitted from your device and maintains the minimum color contrast ratio required for readability. The mobile version of Wikipedia has built-in dark mode support, whereas the web version needs the help of a third-party extension.
How to Turn on Wikipedia Dark Mode on Android Devices
(1) Launch the Google Play Store and search for the Wikipedia app.
(2) Install and open the Wikipedia app.
(3) Tap the More icon at the bottom.
(4) Now, select the Settings option.
(5) Under settings, tap on the App theme option.
(6) On the next screen, four different themes will appear.
(7) You have to choose either the Dark or Black option. It will turn your app background to dark.
(8) Additionally, you can adjust your font size to get a comfortable reading experience.
Alternatively, turn on the Match system theme and enable system-wide dark mode on your Android device to use Wikipedia with a dark background.
How to Turn on Wikipedia Dark Mode on iPhone
(2) Navigate to the search field and type Wikipedia.
(3) Now, click the Get button to install the app on your iPhone.
(4) Launch the Wikipedia app and tap the Settings icon on the top right side of the screen.
(5) Select the Reading preferences option.
(6) Like the Android app, four different themes will appear on the screen.
(7) Tap the Dark or Black option to change the Wikipedia background.
Alternatively, choose the Default option and enable dark mode on iPhone to bring dark background on Wikipedia.
iPad users can follow the same procedure to bring dark mode on the Wikipedia app.
How to Enable Dark Mode on the Wikipedia Website
If you want to access the Wikipedia website in night mode, you need the help of third-party dark mode extensions. There are so many extensions available to bring dark mode on the browser. Here, we have used the Night Eye extension. It is available for all popular browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Safari, Opera, Yandex, and more.
(1) Visit nighteye.app/how-to-start/.
(2) Select the browser you’re using and install the Night Eye extension.
(3) Once the Night Eye is installed on your web browser, pin the extension for easy access.
(4) Now, open the Wikipedia page on your browser.
(5) Select the extension that you have added.
(6) Tap the Power icon, and the background of the entire web browser, including the Wikipedia page, will change from white to black.
(7) Tap the power icon again to turn off the night mode.
Wikipedia Night Mode Extension
It is a dedicated extension available on the Chrome Web Store to read Wikipedia pages with a dark background. Install the extension like other extensions, and then open the Wikipedia site. Now, tap the extension with the W icon, and the dark mode will be enabled on the web page automatically.
Other Extensions for Wikipedia Dark Modes
Apart from the above-mentioned extensions, try the following extension to toggle between dark and light themes on your web browser.
Turn Off the Lights
Turn Off the Lights is one of the featured dark theme extensions for popular browsers. Though the extension is meant for video websites, Turn Off the Lights will work fine on Wikipedia. Just by tapping the Lamp icon, you can turn on or turn off the dark theme. If you want, you can also customize the intensity of the dark light so that you will get the best reading experience. You can also set user-defined keyboard shortcuts for easy access.
Dark Reader is one of the best extensions for Chrome and Firefox browsers. It is the most versatile dark theme extension. With Dark Reader, you can customize the brightness, contrast, grayscale, and more. You can also blacklist websites that you want a light theme. For some websites, you can also change the font style and size using the Dark Reader extension. As the Dark Reader is an open-source extension, you can edit it on GitHub.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. You can turn on the dark mode on both the Wikipedia website and the app.
In Wikipedia, there are four themes available: Light, Sepia, Dark, and Black. Choose a theme based on your preferences.