To provide a better image quality, Apple has come up with this unique format called HEIC (High-Efficiency Image Container). iOS 11 or later version devices will capture and save images in HEIC format by default. This particular format is not compatible with most other devices. Luckily there are ways to open and view them on your desired device. If you are trying to open HEIC files on your Windows PC, here is how to do it.
Windows: Double-click the image > choose the Photos App > click Download and Install > click Yes > choose to Install and view the image.
How to Open HEIC Files on Windows 10 and 11
If you are using modern versions of Windows, you can install the HEIC Image Extensions (Free) and HEVC Video Extensions support ($0.99) from the Microsoft Store. With those supports, you can open the images through Windows Photos App.
(1) Open the folder on your computer that contains the HEIC file.
(2) Double-click on the file to open it on the Photos app. If the image doesn’t open on the Photos app by default, right-click on it and open it with the Photos app.
(3) The Photos app will suggest you download and install “The HEVC Video extension.”
(4) On the pop-up box, click Yes to switch apps. You will be directed to the Microsoft Office Store.
(5) Click on the Install button to download and install the HEIC file support.
(6) Now, you can open any HEIC image just like other file formats. There will also be auto-generated thumbnails for the images.
Reset Image Extensions Using Settings
This method will be helpful if there is a problem with the installed extensions.
(1) Open the Settings app on your PC. Then click on Apps and Features (Apps > Apps and Features).
(2) Click on HEIC Image Extensions or HEVC Video Extensions.
(3) Click on Advanced Options.
(4) Scroll down and choose the Reset option. Click Reset again to confirm.
Now the image should open. Though you can open images now, there may be compatibility issues with other apps. You can convert and save those images as JPEG formats to avoid those issues.
How to Convert HEIC images to JPEG Format on Windows
To convert the HEIC files to JPEG, you can reset the image extensions or convert them using other tools.
Reset Image Extensions Using Photos
(1) Open the folder that contains the HEIC file and double-click on the Photo. If not, open the image with the Photos app.
(2) Click on the three-dotted menu icon on the top-right corner of the screen.
(3) Choose Save As.
(4) Click on the Save As Type drop-down menu.
(5) Choose the desired format and click Save.
You can also use the Paint app to convert the file to the desired format. First, open the image in the Paint app and click File > Save As > Save As Type.
Convert HEIC Files with VLC Media Player
(1) Open the VLC Media Player app on your PC.
(2) Click on the Media option.
(3) Choose Convert /Save.
(4) Select the HEIC file you want to convert and click Convert.
(5) Now choose the file format you want and click Save. Then choose the location where it wanted to be saved.
Convert HEIC Files with Conversion Tools
The above method might be helpful if you want to convert a single image. You can use some converter tools that are available online and apps to convert multiple images. You can use various online tools like HEICto JPEG or download apps like iMazing HEIC Converter or HEIC to JPG etc.
It is easy to convert images with CopyTrans and other software. You can install CopyTrans on your PC and follow the below steps to convert the image.
(1) Open the folder and right-click on the image.
(2) Click on Convert to JPEG with CopyTrans.
(3) That is it. All the images will be converted and saved in the same folder.
iPhone Automatic Conversion
There is a built-in setting that will enable you to capture the images on your iPhone in JPEG format.
(1) On your iPhone, open the Settings app.
(2) Tap the Camera and choose Formats.
(3) Change the format to Most Compatible.
And that is it. All your photos will be saved as JPEG instead of HEIC.
Frequently Asked Questions
Most of the latest Android supports HEIC. You can view the images seamlessly on Android version 10 and above.
Most of the apps have native access to HEIC files like PhotoShop, IrfanView, etc. You will need HEIC and HEVC extensions.