- Why You Need to Change Password on Messenger
- Can You Have a Different Password for Facebook and Messenger
- How to Change Password on Messenger Using Android
- How to Change Password on Messenger Using iPhone
- How to Change Password on Facebook Using Browser
- Enable 2FA Authentication on Facebook
- Frequently Asked Questions
Even though Messenger is highly secure for communicating with your Facebook friends, you need to change its password frequently. While creating a new password, make sure to choose a password that is eight or more characters in length, including special characters, uppercase & lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols. It will prevent spammers and hackers from tracking your Facebook account.
Why You Need to Change Password on Messenger
Here are a few reasons that you need to consider changing the password on Messenger.
- If you have configured the same password for too many social media accounts.
- Changing the password prevents someone from accessing your account if you have lost any device.
- If there is malware on your device, a password change can keep your account safe.
- If you have logged into your Messenger account on someone’s device or public WiFi network.
- If you have revealed the password to someone by mistake.
- If you have linked personal data like date of birth, phone number, and other data on your password.
Can You Have a Different Password for Facebook and Messenger
No. You can’t use separate passwords for Facebook and Messenger. Since Messenger relies on a Facebook account, you can’t use a separate password on the messaging platform. By simply logging in with your Facebook account, you can easily communicate with your friends.
Changing the password on your Facebook account will reflect on the Messenger platform automatically. The Messenger app also offers an option within the app to change the password.
How to Change Password on Messenger Using Android
(1) Launch the Messenger app on your Android device.
(2) Tap the profile picture at the top-left corner of the screen.
(3) Under the Account & Support section, click on Account Settings.
(4) Under the Security section, choose Security and Login.
(5) On the next screen, click the Change password option under the Login section.
(6) Enter the current and new password in the required fields.
(7) Click the Save Changes button.
(8) On the next screen, select either Review other devices or Stay logged in. Click Continue.
How to Change Password on Messenger Using iPhone
(1) Launch the Messenger app on your iPhone.
(2) Tap your Profile icon.
(3) Scroll down to choose Account Settings.
(4) Navigate to the Security section and choose Security and login.
(5) It will redirect you to a web version where you need to enter your Facebook username and password for security purposes.
(6) After logging in, scroll down to choose the Change Password option.
(7) Enter your new password and save the changes.
How to Change Password on Facebook Using Browser
Unlike Android and iPhone devices, you can’t find an option for Account Settings on the Messenger web version. So head to the Facebook website and change the password for your account.
- Visit facebook.com.
- Select the drop-down icon next to your Account name.
- Choose Settings & Privacy → Settings.
- Choose Security & login.
- Head to the Login section and tap the Edit option next to the Change Password option.
- Enter the new password and save the changes.
- It will reflect on your Messenger profile automatically.
Change Password Without Logging in to Facebook
When you forget the current password, you can reset it without logging into your account. Facebook has a dedicated webpage for these kinds of queries.
#1. Go to the Facebook Identify Recovery website.
#2. Enter the mobile number or email address that is linked to your Facebook account.
#3. Click on Continue to receive the verification code.
#4. Enter the security code that you have received and click on Continue.
#5. Set a new password for your profile.
#6. Tap Continue to save the changes.
Enable 2FA Authentication on Facebook
If you think a strong password is not enough to secure your account, enable two-factor authentication for your Facebook account. After enabling this, you need to provide an additional code along with your password while logging in.
- Open the Facebook app and tap the Menu icon at the bottom right corner.
- Choose Settings & privacy → Settings.
- Choose Security & login.
- Tap on Use two-factor authentication.
- Select the authentication method you want and Continue.
- Authentication app
- Text message
- Security key
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the activation process.
- From now on, you need to go through the additional verification method while signing in.
Frequently Asked Questions
Without Facebook, you can’t change the Messenger password. Facebook and Messenger are interconnected platforms.