- Android/iPhone: Messenger app → Profile picture → Account Settings → Security & Login → Change Password → Enter the old and new password → Save Changes.
- Web Version: Visit facebook.com → Login to your account → Account name → Settings & Privacy → Settings → Security & login → Tap Edit next to Change password → Enter the old and new password → Save Changes.
Changing social media passwords is very important since they hold sensitive information like DOB, phone number, email address, photos, etc. Among them, Messenger is one such app that helps you to connect with Facebook friends via audio/video calls or messages. Since Messenger relies on Facebook login credentials, it doesn’t require a separate password. Changing the password on your Facebook profile will reflect on the Messenger app automatically.
How to Change Password on Messenger [Android]
(1) Launch the Messenger app on your device.
(2) Tap the Facebook Profile picture in the top-left corner.
(3) Scroll down to the Account section and choose Account Settings.
(4) Under the Security section, choose Security and login.
(5) On the next screen, tap the Change password option under the Login section.
(6) Enter the current and new password in the required fields.
(7) Finally, tap on the Save changes button.
How to Change Password on Messenger [iPhone]
(1) Launch the Messenger app on your iPhone.
(2) Tap your Profile icon.
(3) Scroll down to choose Account Settings.
(4) Navigate to the Security section and choose Security and login.
(5) It will redirect you to a web version where you need to enter your Facebook username and password for security purposes.
(6) After logging in, scroll down to choose the Change Password option.
(7) Enter your new password and save the changes.
How to Change Password on Messenger [Web Version]
Unlike Android and iPhone devices, you can’t find an option for Account Settings on the Messenger web version. So head to the Facebook website and change the password for your account.
- Visit Facebook.com.
- Select the drop-down icon next to your Account name.
- Choose Settings & Privacy → Settings.
- Choose Security & login.
- Head to the Login section and tap the Edit option next to the Change Password option.
- Enter the new password and save the changes.
- It will reflect on your Messenger profile automatically.
How to Reset Facebook Messenger Password
When you forget the current password, you can reset it without logging into your account. Facebook has a dedicated webpage for these kinds of queries.
#1. Go to the Facebook Identify Recovery website.
#2. Enter the mobile number or email address that is linked to your Facebook account.
#3. Click on Continue to receive the verification code.
#4. Enter the security code that you have received and click on Continue.
#5. Set a new password for your profile.
#6. Tap Continue to save the changes.
What is the Strong Password for Facebook Messenger?
While changing the password, creating a strong password is essential to secure your account. The password must have the following requirements.
#1. The password must contain 8 or more characters.
#2. Include uppercase & lowercase letters to make the password more strong.
#3. Include at least one number and a symbol.
#4. Don’t include the nickname, date of birth, phone number, birth year, and other personal details on the password.
#5. Don’t use the password that you already used on another platform.
Enable 2FA Authentication on Facebook
If you think a strong password is not enough to secure your account, enable two-factor authentication for your Facebook account. After enabling this, you need to provide an additional code along with your password while logging in.
- Open the Facebook app and tap the Menu icon at the bottom right corner.
- Choose Settings & privacy → Settings.
- Choose Security & login.
- Tap on Use two-factor authentication.
- Select the authentication method you want and Continue.
- Authentication app
- Text message
- Security key
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the activation process.
- From now on, you need to go through the additional verification method while signing in.
Frequently Asked Questions
Without Facebook, you can’t change the Messenger password. Facebook and Messenger are interconnected platforms.