Amazon Firestick is a streaming stick based on Android that works almost like an alternative to your Android smartphones. You can install apps and games from the Amazon App Store to use on your TV. But in Amazon App Store, only a limited number of apps are available. To use more of your Amazon Firestick/Fire TV, you need to install apps that are not available on the Amazon App Store. For that, you need to install Downloader for your Firestick.
The Downloader app is just another app store for Firestick which acts like a sideloader. Firestick runs on Fire OS that is an Android-based OS so you can install or sideload any Android apps with ease as you do on your phone. Some popular apps like Google Chrome and many third-party apps are not available on the Amazon App Store. To install these apps on Firestick, you have to use the Downloader app.
Ways to Install Downloader App on Firestick
In Amazon Firestick/Fire TV, you can install apps in two ways.
- Using the Search option
- Using PC
How to Install Downloader App on Firestick using the Search option
Amazon Firestick is integrated with Amazon App Store. When you use the search function for any queries, it will show results from Amazon App Store too.
Interestingly, the Downloader app, the app that helps you to download Android apps is available on the Amazon App Store itself.
(1) Switch on the Firestick or Fire TV, navigate to the Search option on the top left of the Home Screen.
(2) A screen with an on-screen keyboard will appear. Type Downloader and search for it. If you have a Firestick 4K that has voice search, you can use voice assistant too.
(3) Select the Downloader app on the search results.
(4) Click the Get icon or Download icon to download the app.
(5) After a while, the app will be downloaded. Now, click the Open icon to run the Downloader app on Firestick.
How to Install Downloader App on Firestick using PC
You can also install the app on Fire TV using a PC too. Make sure that your PC has is connected to the internet.
(1) Open Google Chrome browser or any web browsers you have on your PC.
(2) Go to the Amazon website amazon.com.
(3) Click the Sign In button on the top of the screen and login with the Amazon account that you are using on your Fire TV.
(4) Now, go to the search bar and search for the Downloader app.
(5) The app will appear on the search results. Click on the app.
(6) On the right side of the screen, click the Deliver to drop-down button and select your Fire TV device.
(7) Now, click the Get App button to download the app on Firestick.
(8) After a few minutes, the Downloader app will be available on the Fire TV Apps section.
How to Use Downloader on Firestick
The sole purpose of the Downloader app is to install apps that are not available on the Amazon App Store. In that case, you need to modify some settings on your Firestick to get the Downloader app working.
(1) When you open the Downloader app for the first time, a pop-up will appear at the bottom requesting permission to access files on the device. Click Allow on the pop-up.
(2) The next step will be the Quick Start Guide. Read it and click OK.
(3) On the app screen, navigate to the Settings option.
(4) Click on the Enable JaveScript checkbox.
Apps from Unknown Sources
(1) Now, go back to the Firestick Home screen and click the Settings option.
(2) Navigate to the My Fire TV or Devices tab.
(3) Select the Developer Options on the menu.
(4) Under Developer Options, click on ADB debugging to turn on.
(5) Under Developer Options, turn on the Apps from Unknown Sources option.
(6) On the pop-up, click Turn On to confirm your selection.
That’s it. Your Firestick is now ready to download and install and Android apps.
Go to the Home option and paste the app’s download link to download apps.
Make these changes to your Firestick and Downloader app beforehand to avoid some common errors like Downloader Not Working or An unknown error has occurred, Check your URL and connection and more.
Use the above steps to install the Downloader app on your Amazon Fire TV/Firestick and install any Android apps. Make your Firestick as versatile as your Android smartphones. You can also use Aptoide TV for Firestick which is an app similar to Downloader to install apps that are not available on the App Store.