When the user is preparing a document using multi-lingual words, they have to use the correct accents as per the requirement. The user denotes English alphabets with an accent symbol on the letter indicating stress or change in the pronunciation of the letter. Fortunately, inserting or typing a letter with an accent is quick and easy to use, and there are multiple ways to do it. Here is how to type i with Accent using different methods concerning the operating system.
Methods to Type i with Accent
There are several methods to type i letter with an accent depending on the operating system and document type. Here is how to do it.
Step 1: Type i with Accent Using Alt Code
1. Open the document, where you need to type i with Accent. The Process is the same for all the documents such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Google Docs, and web pages.
2. Ensure the num lock key is on before starting the process as it involves using the numeric keys.
Here is a list of the alt code available by default on Windows PC.
- Í – I accute upper case – Alt + 0205
- í – i accute lower case – Alt + 0237
- Ì – I grave upper case – Alt + 0204
- ì – i grave lower case – Alt + 0236
- Î – I circumflex upper case – Alt + 0206
- î – i circumflex lower case – Alt + 0238
- Ï – I Ulmaut upper case – Alt + 0207
- ï – i Ulmaut lower case – Alt + 0239
3. Press and hold the alt key and type the alt code of the desired character required in the document.
4. Upon typing the alt code, the user can release the Alt key. The required character will appear on the screen.
Step 2: How to Type i with Accent on Mac
For Mac users, the easiest way to type i with an accent on a document is using keyboard shortcuts.
- To type i with grave – [Option + `] then i.
- To type i with acute – [Option + e] then i.
- To type i with circumflex – [Option + i] then i.
- To type i with umlaut – [Option + u] then i.
For capital I, the user should turn on the capslock.
Step 3: How to Type i with Accent on Microsoft Office
Apart from the discussed methods, there are two methods exclusively available for Word. One is the insert symbol option, and the other is the using keyboard shortcuts.
Using Insert Symbol Option on Microsoft Office
1. Open the Word or Excel or Powerpoint document and place the cursor where the user you need type i with accent.
2. Select the “Insert” option and click on the “Symbols” option.
3. Click on the “More symbols” option from the drop-down list.
4. A dialogue box with all symbols will appear. Choose the “Latin-1 Supplement” from the subset drop-down list.
5. Locate the accent symbol required, and double click on it to add to the document.
Using Exclusive Shortcut Key for Word
The Word document has some exclusive keyboard shortcuts meant only to function in Microsoft Word. Below is the list of shortcuts used to type I with the accent on Microsoft Word.
- To type i with grave – [Ctrl + `] then i.
- To type i with accute – [Ctrl + ‘] then i.
- To type i with circumflex – [Ctrl + ^] then i.
- To type i with umlaut – [Ctrl + Shift + ;] then i.
Step 4: Copy and Paste i with accent
One of the easiest ways to insert i with accent is to copy the symbol from a webpage. The shortcut for this method is to copy the symbol from another document using Ctrl + C and paste it to the required location using Ctrl + V.
Windows has a built-in option called the Character Map which can use to type any symbols.
1. Click on the “Start” button and search for the “Character Map” in the search bar.
2. Open the “Character Map” application, and a dialogue box pops up.
3. Select the accent symbol from the list by double-clicking, and it should appear in the “character to copy” field. Now, click on the “Copy” option.
4. Place the cursor on the desired location in the document and paste the symbol.
Related – How to Type e with Accent
Frequently Asked Questions
The easiest way to insert i with an accent on a Chromebook is by using the copy and paste method to alt codes.
The copy-paste method would be the easiest and can be used to insert symbols into emails or outlook.