- Browser: Language & Region Settings → Facebook Language → Edit → Choose the language → Save Changes.
- Desktop App: Profile → Preferences → Language → Choose the language → Restart.
- Android/iPhone: Unfortunately, Messenger doesn’t offer the feature to change the language by default. You should change the language on your smartphone settings to make changes.
Messenger is one of the best messaging apps for Android users. Before Messenger, users chat with their friends within the Facebook platform. Later, Facebook launched Messenger as a standalone messaging app for users. Messenger has tons of features similar to other messaging apps. If you are not convenient to use Messenger in the default language (English), you can change it based on your preference for the app, browser, and desktop app as well. Moreover, you can change the language on Messenger within a few minutes.
Is it Possible to Change the Language on Facebook Messenger?
Yes. But, there is no built-in option to change the app language on Messenger. You have to change it by tweaking device settings or Facebook account settings.
- Changing system settings
- Changing Facebook language
Note – The following steps support only changing the app language. You can’t change the language for the messages that you want to send. To send messages in a different language, change the language on the device keyboard or use a third-party keyboard app on your Android or iPhone.
How to Change Language on Messenger App [Android]
By changing the device language on your Android device, the display language on the Messenger app will change automatically.
(1) Open Settings on your Smartphone.
(2) Tap on Language and region.
(3) Under Language and region, click on the Language option.
(4) Select your preferred language from the list given under the language option.
(5) After selecting your preferred language, tap on done.
(6) Open your Messenger, which will open with the preferred language.
How to Change Messenger App Language on iPhone/iPad
Unlike Android, you don’t need to change the entire system language. Here, you must change only the app language on the device settings.
(1) Open Settings on your iPhone/iPad.
(2) Scroll down to choose the Messenger app.
(3) Select the Language option.
(4) Select the language you want and then open the Messenger app.
(5) The app will open with the selected language.
Change Language on Messenger By Changing Facebook Language
This method is only applicable to changing the language on the Messenger web version. You can’t follow this method on Smartphones.
(2) Log in to your account. It will open on the Language and Region Settings page.
(3) Click the Edit option next to the Facebook language section.
(4) Select the language from the drop-down.
(5) You can also choose a secondary language. By doing so, Facebook will open with the second language when the primary one is unavailable.
(6) Click Save changes.
(7) Now, open messenger.com in a new tab, and it will open the selected language automatically.
How to Change Language on Messenger Desktop App
(2) Log In using your Facebook credentials.
(3) Next, click the Profile icon on the bottom left and choose Preferences.
(4) Under Preferences, click Languages.
(5) Click the drop-down and choose the desired language from the list.
(6) Once you have chosen, click Restart to apply the changes.
The Messenger app will restart, and you can see the menus with the changed language.
So, now you can use Messenger in your preferred language and chat with friends and family. As we mentioned earlier, you can only display language on messenger. You can’t make any changes to the messages that you send or receive.