YouTube TV is Google’s paid streaming service that offers live TV channels and on-demand videos from 70+ popular networks including ABC, AMC, CBS, CNN, ESPN, Discovery, NBC, Fox, FX, TBS, and more. Launched in February 2017, YouTube TV is available for all the major platforms including Amazon Firestick.
YouTube TV also supports cloud-DVR with unlimited storage to record your favourite clippings. The recorded videos will be kept for 9-months.
Due to the clash between Amazon and Google, YouTube TV was removed from Amazon Store in earlier 2018. However, the two giants have finally come to terms and Youtube TV is officially available on the Amazon store.
Supported Firestick devices
According to Google, the following Amazon streaming devices will support YouTube TV
- Fire TV Stick 4K
- 1st and 2nd Gen Fire TV Cube
- 2nd Gen Fire TV Stick
- Fire TV (2nd and 3rd Gen)
- Fire TV Edition Smart TVs (Toshiba, Element, Insignia, and Westinghouse)
There are two ways available to stream YouTube TV contents on your Firestick or Fire TV. You can stream it by downloading the dedicated app from the Amazon store or by using the Silk browser.
Before installation, make sure to sign up for YouTube TV with the help of a web browser. YouTube TV costs $49.99 per month.
How to Sign up for YouTube TV?
(1) Open Google Chrome or any other web browser and visit tv.youtube.com.
(2) Click Try it Free.
(3) Sign up with your Google credentials.
(4)By default, YouTube TV will display the zip code of your location. If it is wrong, tap I DON’T LIVE HERE and enter your zip code.
(5) Click LET’S GO.
(6) Customise your membership by selecting the addons that you want. For these addons, you need to additional fee along with your monthly cost.
(7) Click NEXT once you selected the required addons.
(8) Review the price of the membership and enter your payment details.
Note: You won’t be charged until your free trial ends.
(9) Click BUY to purchase YouTube TV.
How to Install and Activate YouTube TV on Firestick?
(1) On the home screen of Firestick, hover to the Search icon.
(2) Enter YouTube TV and click on it to search for the app.
(3) The search results will appear on the screen.
(4) Select its logo to open the app.
(5) Tap Get or Download to install the app.
(6) Wait for the YouTube TV app to install on your streaming device.
(7) Select Open to launch the app.
Note: You can also launch the app from the Apps section.
(8) Select SIGN IN.
(9) An activation code along with its link will appear on the screen. You need to configure it on your mobile or PC web browser to activate the web.
(10) Take your mobile or PC and open any web browser. Visit the activation link tv.youtube.com/start
(11) Enter the code displayed on the screen.
(12) Sign in to your Google account which you used to purchase YouTube TV.
(13) Once you signed in, the YouTube TV app on the Firestick screen will load automatically to display the media contents.
How to Watch using the Silk browser?
With the help of Silk browser, one can stream YouTube TV contents on their Firestick. Silk browser is an inbuilt and default for all the Firestick/Fire TV devices. If needed, you can download other web browsers like Mozilla Firefox from the Amazon store.
(1) Open the Silk browser.
(2) Enter tv.youtube.com in the URL bar.
(3) Click SIGN IN located at the top right corner of the screen.
(4) Sign in with your Google credentials and stream the YouTube TV contents on your Firestick.
Where is YouTube TV available?
Currently, YouTube TV is only available for people living in the US and its territories. If you access YouTube TV outside the US, you will receive a geo-restriction error stating “Sorry, but YouTube TV is not available in your area just yet“. With the help of a VPN, you may bypass the YouTuve TV geo-restrictions. But, YouTube TV requires a payment method which linked to a US address. So, it is difficult to access outside the US.
Even though YouTube TV is a quality premium service for Firestick devices, $49.99/month may be too high for many users. For networks like STARZ, NBA League Pass, Fox Soccer Plus, SHOWTIME and more, you need to pay the additional fee. Hence, think twice before purchasing this service.