VLC Media Player is the go-to video player for many of us. An easy interface with a lot of customization options is an exceptional thing on VLC. If you are a Windows PC user, definitely you have VLC installed in it. On the other hand, Roku is an iOS-like device. You can install apps, games, and channels that are only available on Roku Channel Store. As of now, the VLC is not available on the Roku Channel Store. This article deals on how to install VLC on Roku.
Installing apps and channels on Roku is an easy task if the app or channel is available on the Roku Channel Store. If you want to install any app that is not available on the Roku Channel Store, you simply can’t do it. That’s it. This goes the same for VLC too. You can’t install it.
If you can’t install VLC on Roku, it doesn’t mean that you can’t access it on your Roku device. Roku is a smart streaming device that is capable of casting videos like Google Chromecast.
Step to Cast VLC on Roku from a PC
Before getting into the casting process, connect your PC and Roku to the same WiFi network.
(1) Open the VLC app on your PC or play any video using VLC media player.
(2) Click the Playback option (2nd option) on the Menu Bar.
(3) Click the Renderer option, and your Roku device will be displayed.
(4) Tap on the Roku device to cast.
(5) After the casting is successful, the video can be viewed on your Roku device.
(6) If you get Insecure Site dialog box, click the View certificate button.
(7) On the next dialog box, click the Accept permanently button.
If you are a mobile user, you can still cast VLC on Roku. First, make sure that your smartphone and Roku are connected to the same WiFi network.
Step to Cast VLC on Roku from Your Android Smartphone
(1) Install VLC app on your smartphone.
Note: You must connect your smartphone and Roku to the same WiFi network.
(2) Open Settings and click the Cast icon.
(3) Select your Roku device and then enable permission to mirror your Android device.
(4) After mirroring your Android, launch the VLC app and play the video content to watch it on your Roku connected TV.
Even though you can’t install VLC on your Roku device, use the above steps to cast contents. By knowing how to cast using the Roku device, you don’t need to buy the Chromecast. VLC is one of the best media players for many devices but not for Roku. You can also go with the VLC alternatives if you want to play videos. If you know a way to install VLC on Roku, let us know in the comments section. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more updates.