VLC Media Player is the go-to video player for many of us. An easy interface with a lot of customization options is an exceptional thing on VLC. If you are a Windows PC user, you definitely have VLC installed in it. On the other hand, Roku is an iOS-like device. You can install apps, games, and channels that are only available on Roku Channel Store. As of now, the VLC is not available on the Roku Channel Store.
Installing apps and channels on Roku is an easy task if the app or channel is available on the Roku Channel Store. If you want to install any app that is not available on the Roku Channel Store, you simply can’t do it. That’s it. This goes the same for VLC too. You can’t install it.
If you can’t install VLC on Roku, it doesn’t mean that you can’t access it on your Roku device. Roku is a smart streaming device that is capable of casting videos like Google Chromecast.
Steps to Cast VLC on Roku from a PC
Before getting into the casting process, connect your PC and Roku to the same WiFi network. Then, go to Roku Settings and enable the screen mirroring mode on Roku.
(1) Open the VLC app on your PC or play any video using the VLC media player.
(2) Click the Playback option (2nd option) on the Menu Bar.
(3) Click the Renderer option, and your Roku device will be displayed.
(4) Tap on the Roku device to cast.
(5) After the casting is successful, the video can be viewed on your Roku device.
(6) If you get the Insecure Site dialog box, click the View certificate button.
(7) On the next dialog box, click the Accept permanently button.
If you are a mobile user, you can still cast VLC on Roku. First, make sure that your smartphone and Roku are connected to the same WiFi network.
Steps to Cast VLC on Roku from Your Android Smartphone
(1) Install the VLC app on your smartphone from the Play Store.
Note: You must connect your smartphone and Roku to the same WiFi network.
(2) Open Settings and click the Cast icon. You can also tap the Cast icon from the Notification Panel. The name of the icon may vary based on the brand of the smartphone.
(3) Select your Roku device and then enable permission to mirror your Android device.
(4) After mirroring your Android, launch the VLC app and play the video content to watch it on your Roku TV.
Steps to Cast VLC on Roku from Apple Devices
The latest version of Roku has the AirPlay 2 support. With that, you can cast the VLC app to your Roku device from your iPhone or Mac. For that, you need to update the Roku OS to its latest version. Make sure that your Roku and iPhone or Mac are connected to the same WiFi connection. To do so,
(1) Go to the Roku Settings.
(2) Choose the Apple AirPlay and HomeKit option.
(3) Turn on the AirPlay feature.
(4) In the Require Code box, choose First Time Only.
(6) Open the VLC app on your device.
(7) For iPhone or iPad, play any video content. Tap the AirPlay icon on the playback screen and choose the Roku device.
(8) For Mac, click the AirPlay icon on the top and choose your Roku device.
(9) Now, the video from the VLC app will appear on your Roku device.
Even though you can’t install VLC on your Roku device, use the above steps to cast contents. By knowing how to cast using the Roku device, you don’t need to buy the Chromecast. VLC is one of the best media players for many devices, but not for Roku. You can also go with the VLC alternatives if you want to play videos. If you know a way to install VLC on Roku, let us know in the comments section.
No, there is no VLC app available in the Channel Store.
To stream videos from the VLC media player on Roku, you have to screen mirror, cast, or AirPlay the app to your Roku device.