- VLC is officially not available for Samsung Smart TVs.
- You need to connect and use external streaming devices to access the VLC media player on your Smart TV natively.
- You can also cast or Airplay VLC videos to Samsung TV from the smartphone.
VLC is a popular media player that plays all kinds of audio and video formats. Along with smartphones and desktops, VLC is also supported on a few Smart TVs operated by Android tvOS. Unfortunately, the VLC media player is not supported on the Smart Hub of Samsung Smart TVs for certain reasons. Therefore, if you want to access the VLC media player on Samsung TV, you must use an external streaming device.
Since the latest models of Samsung Smart TVs are equipped with built-in Chromecast and Airplay functionality, you cast it to your TV from the smartphone.
Access VLC on Samsung Smart TV With Streaming Devices
So many Streaming devices have access to install the VLC media player. Here, we have listed the top four devices that let you access VLC and other applications unavailable on the Smart Hub.
Amazon Firestick 4K
Amazon Firestick is the best streaming device to access several Android apps on your TV. It has an Amazon App Store to install several apps, including VLC. The best thing about Firestick is that you can sideload the apps that are not natively available on the store.
- Price: $34.99
- Storage: 8 GB
Nvidia Shield TV
Nvidia Shield TV is the best media player to watch media content in 4K HDR quality. The Google Play Store on Nvidia Shield TV has all the applications you can imagine. Like Android TV, open the Play Store and search for the VLC Media Player to install it.
- Price: $179.99
- Storage: 16 GB
Chromecast with Google TV
It is the latest version in the Chromecast family. Unlike the earlier models, Google TV supports installing apps natively. You can also sideload the unsupported apps by installing the Downloader app.
- Price: $29.99
- Storage: 8 GB
TiVo Stream 4K
TiVo Stream 4K is yet another streaming device powered by Android tvOS. By connecting to the HDMI port of your TV, you can install various apps from Google Play Store, including VLC. It also comes with a storage capacity of 8 GB.
- Price: $39.52
- Storage: 8 GB
How to Stream VLC on Samsung TV Via Chromecast
Most Samsung TVs have built-in Chromecast technology to cast media content from Android and iPhone. Fortunately, the VLC media player also has Google Cast functionality. Hence, you can cast it directly without using the Google Home app.
1. Turn on your Samsung TV and connect it to a WiFi connection.
2. Connect your Smartphone to the same WiFi network.
3. Launch the VLC media player on your smartphone.
4. Tap the Cast icon on the top right corner of the media player.
Note – The cast icon will not appear if the devices are connected to different networks.
5. Choose your Samsung Smart TV name from the nearby devices list and wait for the VLC logo to appear on your TV.
6. Play the content you want and watch it on your TV.
How to Stream VLC on Samsung TV Via Airplay
This method is applicable to the Smart TVs compatible with the Airplay 2 functionality. Visit this Apple support page to find out whether your Samsung TV is compatible with Airplay.
1. Enable Airplay on Samsung TV and ensure that it is connected to the same network as your iPhone
2. Launch the VLC media player on your iPhone.
3. Play any video you wish to watch.
4. Once the video starts playing on your device, tap the AirPlay icon on the media player.
5. Select your Samsung TV and enter the code displayed on your TV.
6. Now, the selected content will play on your TV.
Frequently Asked Questions
No. Tizen OS doesn’t support installing VLC Media Player.
Yes. VLC player is free to use, and you can download this app officially on the supported devices.