- VLC is officially not available for Samsung Smart TVs.
- You need to Airplay or Cast from your iPhone or Android smartphone.
- You can also use external streaming devices to access the VLC media player on your Smart TV.
VLC is a popular media player that plays all kinds of audio and video formats on smartphones and desktops. Unfortunately, the VLC media player is not supported on Samsung Smart TVs for certain reasons. However, you can cast the VLC contents on your Samsung TV from your smartphone via AirPlay or Chromecast technology. If you want to access the media player on your TV, purchase and use streaming devices with official VLC support.
How to Stream VLC on Samsung TV Via Chromecast
Most Samsung TVs are equipped with built-in Chromecast technology to cast media content from Android and iPhone. Fortunately, the VLC media player also has Google Cast functionality. Hence, you can cast it directly without using the Google Home app.
1. Turn on your Samsung TV and connect it to a WiFi connection.
2. Connect your Smartphone to the same WiFi network.
3. Launch the VLC media player on your smartphone.
4. Tap the Cast icon on the top right corner of the media player.
Note – The cast icon will not appear if the devices are connected to different networks.
5. Choose your Samsung Smart TV name from the nearby devices list and wait for the VLC logo to appear on your TV.
6. Play the content you want and watch it on your TV.
How to Stream VLC on Samsung TV Via Airplay
This method is applicable to the Smart TVs compatible with the Airplay 2 functionality. Visit this Apple support page to find out whether your Samsung TV is compatible with Airplay.
1. Enable Airplay on Samsung TV and ensure that it is connected to the same network as your iPhone
2. Launch the VLC media player on your iPhone.
3. Launch the app and play any video you wish to watch.
4. Once the video starts to play on your device, tap the AirPlay icon.
5. Select your Samsung TV and enter the code displayed on your TV.
6. Now, the selected content will play on your TV.
Access VLC on Samsung TV With Streaming Devices
You can also access VLC Media Player on your Samsung TV by connecting the external streaming devices to the HDMI port of your TV. Devices like Amazon Firestick, Nvidia Shield TV, Chromecast with Google TV, and Tivo Stream 4K have official access to install the VLC player from the built-in Play Store.
|Nvidia Shield TV||$179.99|
|Chromecast with Google TV||$38.38|
|Tivo Stream 4K||$29.99|
Frequently Asked Questions
No. Tizen OS doesn’t support installing VLC Media Player.
Yes. VLC player is free to use, and you can download this app officially on the supported devices.