Google recently upgraded its Chromecast device with a new one called Chromecast with Google TV. Unlike the previous versions, it comes with an Android TV OS and the ability to download apps within the device. If you want to access your personal media files on Google TV, then Plex will be the first app you need to try. The following section will show the necessary steps to setup Plex on Google TV and streaming the media files stored locally on your PC.
The guide involves three important steps:
- Setting up Plex Media Server on PC
- Installing Plex Media Player on Google TV
- Setting up Plex app on Google TV
Set up Plex Server on PC
To sync your personal media files, you need to set up the Plex Media Server on the PC
1) On your PC web browser, visit plex.tv/media-server-downloads.
2) Download the file and install it on your PC.
3) Click Launch once the installation is complete.
4) You will be directed to a browser and make sure to Sign in to your Plex account. On the next screen, click Got it.
5) Enter a name for your server and click Next. Check the box near the Allow me to access my media outside my home in order to access the media on Google TV.
7) Click Done once you have set up the server. After setting up the server, upload the files that you want.
Install Plex on Chromecast with Google TV
1) Set up your Chromecast with Google TV and hover to the Apps section on the top of the screen.
2) You can browse for Plex under the Entertainment category or click Search for Apps.
3) Type out the name of the app or dictate Plex so that Google Assistant can search for the app.
4) Select the Plex app from the suggestions that are listed on the screen.
6) On the app information screen, click Install.
7) Once the app is installed, you will get a Open option on the screen.
Set up Plex on Chromecast with Google TV
1) You need to activate with the Plex account used for configuring Plex Media Server. Click Sign in on the top-right corner of the screen.
2) An activation code will appear on the screen.
3) Visit the activation link (https://plex.tv/link) using a web browser on a smartphone or computer.
4) Enter the code in the given text box. Sign in with your Plex account credentials and click Link.
5) You will get Account Linked confirmation on the screen.
6) Plex app on the TV screen will start loading. If you want to buy a Plex pass, click Subscribe and follow the on-screen instructions. If not, click Not Now.
7) All the media files you uploaded on the Plex Media Server will appear on the screen after few minutes.
With the above steps, you can install and set up Plex on Chromecast with Google TV to access your personal media on your TV. You can also view other content on Plex by adding plugins and subscribing to Plex Pass.